Councils of Catholic Women
The mission of the Council of Catholic Women is to support, empower, and educate all Catholic Women in spirituality, leadership, and service.
AFC CCW Council
The AFC CCW council consists of two representatives from each of the 4 parish CCW groups. The purpose of the AFC CCW is to strengthen communication across the 4 CCW groups and combine efforts when it benefits everyone. One of the first initiatives of this group is the calendar below.
St. Mary's Council
The St. Mary's Council of Catholic Women is composed of all the women in St. Mary's Parish. It has the following commissions: Spirituality, Service, Leadership, Scholarship, and Reverence for Life. Meetings are held several times a year for the council; see the bulletin for specific times and places.
The women of the parish are divided into 8 "circles;" those circles take turns preparing funeral luncheons and are given an "assignment" each year (see below). There are three chairwomen for each circle; they share the leadership for their circle's duties.
Circle assignments for 2016 are:
- Confirmation Reception, March 12, Circle #6
- Graduation Reception, May 17th, Circle #5
- Bloodmobile, June 6th, Circle #3
- Respect Life Breakfast, Oct. 2nd, Circle #2
- Theme Basket/Bake Sale Fundraiser, Dec. 3 & 4, Circles #1, #4, #7, #8
Dues are $10 per year; make checks payable to St. Mary's CCW. An envelope is provided in the box of Sunday envelopes in October for your convenience; it can be dropped into the Sunday collection at any Mass, turned into the church office, or mailed to Deb Marks, CCW Treasurer, 830 S 4th Street, Bird Island, 55310.
St. Aloysius Council
The women of the St. Aloysius CCW carrry out their mission in a number of ways. They provide:
- Ongoing faith enrichment through local speakers, diocesan, region, and national conventions;
- Funeral lunches where each member is asked several times a year to make a salad, cupcakes or work;
- Fellowship after the 1st Sunday of the month after Mass with coffee and rolls (proceeds go to a variety of causes/social concerns);
- Fellowship (through soup and sandwiches) after Stations of the Cross, a traditional Catholic devotion during Lent;
- Charitable giving opportunities with Santa’s Closet, Hope Pregnancy Center, Mary’s Place;
- Opportunities to create quilts which are donated to local charities (group meets weekly during school year).
Holy Redeemer Council
Holy Redeemer CCW has been changed over to 6 directors. It meets approximately 4 times a year unless a major issue has to be discussed. The CCW is made up of 6 groups and every lady in the parish is included in one of the groups. Church handbooks are done in July and given to each parish woman. The handbooks have scheduled events that each group is assigned for a certain month. Some events are as follows: rolls & coffee on the first Sunday of the month, Baccalaureate lunch, funerals and help with the annual turkey dinner. At the Baccalaureate , each senior is given a blanket made for them. God’s blessing to all CCW members for their loyal support!
St. John's Council
St. John's CCW is made up of all the women in the parish. It has the following commissions: Spirituality, Service, Leadership, Scholarship and Reverence for Life.
The group meets 4-6 times per year; please check the AFC bulletin for times and meeting places. Dues are $20 per year.
Several times a year, St. John's CCW hosts coffee hour. In addition, all women are asked to serve and make food for funerals as needed. An ongoing service project is the Food Shelf; there is a basket in the church entry for donations year round.
Each year, the CCW holds a craft and bake sale with a raffle. Christmas bags are provided for the children each year and a birthday party is held annually at the Buffalo Lake Health Care Center in December. The CCW has a matching donation to adopt a child, donates to CIRCLE, and has a basket for Santa's Closet.
|Theresa Tersteeg||St. Mary's CCW President||320-579-0322|
|Sheila Steffel||St. Aloysius CCW President||320-523-5865|
|Rhonda Kramer||St. John's CCW President||320-848-2108|
|Barb Benson||Holy Redeemer CCW President||320-523-1689|